Dienstag, 22. Mai 2012

A New Direction

That half-arsed attempt at starting a blog didn't really work so well.

I talk about a new direction in the subject, but it's probably more truthful to say "new: a direction".

I want to write about advertising.  To educate myself, and anyone else who's interested.

I'm trying to write short, like Dave Trott.

Nike's adverts approaching International Football Tournaments are always pretty special.  This year's first one looks promising, but I don't think it's so epic as previous ones.  I hope they will go somewhere else with this for the TV ads during the tournament.


This ad was made by Wieden and Kennedy - I don't know much about them yet, so I will post a blog on them tomorrow. I've heard they have some very cool accounts.

The tunnels idea is interesting - but I found myself thinking: if it's not interesting enough to be an ad in its own right, why should I spend my time "searching through tunnels" for an ad?

For the purpose of this blog - I just had a look at the tunnels thing, but I'm on an old computer and I lost patience.  I may come back to it later, but I still have the feeling like I'm not really missing out.

Maybe it's only because I'm English that I like the ad so much, but I thought ITV's "what could have been" idea was fantastic. I'm sure it will resonate with many sports fans. 



The ad dips into a rich history of past optimism rather than trying to drum up an optimism that just isn't there for this year's tournament.  A totally opposite approach to that taken by Nike, but one that I think is better suited to the audience.

Nike want to sell over-priced football boots to kids hoping to emulate their idols.  ITV want to appeal to the owner of the TV remote - older football fans who are not watching their first tournament. 

Overall I think ITV hit their mark better than Nike hit theirs, which is why I want to know who made this ad.  I'll have another snoop and hopefully find out tomorrow.

Bis dann, ad fans

(campaign's article on the Nike campaign is here: http://www.brandrepublic.com/news/1132823/nike-kick-starts-global-football-campaign-starring-ribery-neymar/)

1 Kommentar:

  1. Nice post, here's another interesting one
    These is informative content. Want to show you another useful article https://ufo3d.com/best-furniture-advertising-ideas-online-sales

    AntwortenLöschen